It’s that time of year! The blueberries are bursting, raspberries are finishing their first cycle, the huckleberries are coming to fruition, and blackberries are right around the corner. Strawberries burst onto the scene a month back and brought joy to my daily gardening tasks for a short week before I left for a trip, and the birds made work of the rest before my return – so no strawberry recipes this year. I’m harboring ample resentment for the plump robins that gorged on my seeds and strawberries this year, even though I can’t help but grin at their bold antics.
But where was I? Ah yes. The blueberries. There are plenty for all this year with our weeks of glorious sunshine – enough for the birds, as well as for fresh blueberry delicacies and stocks for the freezer. This first recipe of the season is a light, summery version adapted from one of my grandma’s classic recipes.
In a bluesy mood, I’m rocking out to the melancholy and yearning of Dan Auerbach’s first solo project from his band the Black Keys. In this album, Keep it Hid, Auerbach’s raw bluesy folk rock makes for a great background to late afternoon baking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter at room temp
- 1 1/5 cup honey (or 1 cup sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (this can be cut to 2 cups when using sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (goat milk or traditional dairy is fine as well)
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (2 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries will do as well, but make sure to blanch thoroughly)
- Heat the oven to 375°, and grease muffin tins for 18.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla, baking powder, and salt and beat thoroughly.
- Add in flour and milk a bit at a time, alternating between each addition.
- Using a spoon, fold in blueberries gently.
- Fill muffin tins 4/5 of the way each.
- Bake for approximately 17 minutes, until fork comes out clean. Tops will be tan and lightly crisped. Once cooled, store in tupperware or toss in a zip lock bag, and be prepared with a nutritious and delicious snack on the go anytime.