These little broccoli bites are not only easy to make and delicious, they are also incredibly healthy. Since quinoa is technically a seed, it is protein rich and nutrient dense. A healthy alternative to grain, quinoa does have some grain-like qualities (quinoa is high in carbohydrates), and thus is not technically acceptable for those on a strict paleo diet, but this combination of protein, nutrients, and complex carbohydrates is great for an on-the-go snack, and will keep the eater feeling satisfied for hours.
While I made these mid-day snacks on a long weekend, I was getting down with The Gray Album, by Danger Mouse. *Whistles. I just heard of this album, though I don’t know how it escaped me since its release in 2004. The Grey Album is a mashup of two artists I hold dear to my heart: The Beatles and Jay Z. Specifically, the album is a mash-up of the Beatles album commonly referred to as the White Album, and vocals from Jay Z’s Black Album. Get it?! So fun!
This recipe was adapted from a fun little video from Tip Hero: http://tiphero.com/broccoli-cheddar-quinoa-bites/
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I use my own polypore broth for this recipe, though Vogue’s instant “VegeBase” is another favorite)
- 2 cups diced broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
- Combine vegetable broth and quinoa together in a large pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add diced broccoli florets, onion and garlic.
- Beat eggs together in a separate container with all spices, and then add to rest of the mixture.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese until ingredients are well-mixed
- Scoop into muffin tins and fill approximately 4/5 of the way full. *Full-size and mini-muffins both turn out fine.
- Sprinkle each muffin with additional cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy for breakfast or a snack on-the-move, or an easy addition for a packed lunch!