With my second bout of bronchitis within the year, I’ve been craving heat on my chest, but have an aversion to petroleum-based products like the common over-the-counter chest rubs. I love eucalyptus and peppermint oil for their incredible healing properties, so I decided to make my own chest salve, using coconut oil and beeswax as a natural base.
This recipe is incredibly simple once you’ve acquired the ingredients. Give yourself ten minutes, plus five minutes of cleanup time, and thirty minutes of waiting for the salve to firm, and enjoy a salve that will get you and your family through your next few chest-cold-related ailments.
- 1.5 tbsp. beeswax
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- Place beeswax and coconut oil in a medium-sized pan, and heat on medium-low.
- Use spoon to gently stir beeswax and coconut oil together to combine as they melt.
- Once both are completely melted, remove from heat, and add essential oils. Stir thoroughly.
- Quickly, before mixture starts to harden, pour mixture through a mesh strainer or fine cloth. *This step can potentially be skipped if you’ve purchased beeswax that is already strained. Since our wax is straight from our bees, it actually has a healthy dose of pollen and other organic material that certainly don’t hurt, but can easily be strained to make a smoother salve.
- Gently swirl the salve a few times as it firms up. Depending on the temperature of your house, the salve should be ready to use in thirty minutes or less.
Rub salve on your chest, whenever you are in need of a chest decongestant.